maanantai, 18. helmikuu 2013
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I love pure wool, especially merino wool, and also alpaca. Bamboo is interesting, too. Also I like blends of merino-alpaca-silk etc.
I'm not very fond of 100 % (poly)acrylic, polyamide etc. yarns, but I can easily tolerate 25-30% of polyamide in sock yarns to give strength. That been said, I must say I'm not a complete yarn snob and I'm quite happy to use wool or cotton blends with synthetic materials.
Especially I love sock yarns and yarns that are suitable for shawls.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
At the moment, my needles are stored in a plastic storage box.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I've been knitting since I was about 7 or 8. I was taught to knit and crochet by my godmother.
I would say my skill level is between intermediate and advanced.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yes, I've just made one:
You can find the knitting/crafts books I already own at the LibraryThing:
5. What's your favorite scent?
I love floral scents; rose, peony, freesia, lilacs, and also vanilla, citrus. In fact, I can't name a scent I wouldn't like.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Absolutely! I love chocolate.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I chrochet from time to time and I love cross stitching! No, I do not spin.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I can't name any artists, but I like pop music. I usually listen to radio on my computer while I'm working, and this particular radio station plays both new and older top hits and I like that. Yes, MP3 is ok.
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
I like red colour in its darker, bluish and pink shades, but not towards orange or brick red. I also like purple, dark brown, blue, light blue. I've always felt that green is not my colour, but certain shades of it are beautiful. I do not like grass green. The combination of bright yellow and bright green or blue is something I don't like at all.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I'm married (for ages now) with two children: son 6 years and daughter 4 years. Unfortunately, we lost our dear golden retriever last year and we haven't got any pets at the moment. I love dogs, especially golden retrievers.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I wear scarves/shawls and mittens.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Mostly I knit socks. I've got several lace shawls on my To Do -list. I love to knit for children. As my knitting time is very limited I like to knit relatively small items.
13. What are you knitting right now?
I've got a few projects in process: 4 pairs of socks, a jacket for my daughter. I would like to cast on a lace shawl any day now.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
I would love them!
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I prefer circular needles. Addi needles and wooden circulars are my favorite. I prefer bamboo dpns.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Yes, I've got a yarn winder.
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
As to knitting, I'd say the oldest is a lace scarf from last autumn.
18. What is your favorite holiday?
I love Christmas.
19. Is there anything that you collect?
Besides yarn and knitting needles, no.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I would love to have the pattern of Hyrna Herborgar lace shawl in Three-cornered and Long Shawls
by Sigridur Halldórsdóttir, but I do not expect my SP to get it for me.
I'd also like the Urban Aran pullover pattern by Patons.
I would love to try new sock yarns, maybe hand dyed. There can never be to many wooden/bamboo (short) dpn's or Addi circulars or wooden circulars.
I subscribe to Vogue Knitting and Interweave Knitting. I'd love any other knitting magazines.
I also subscribe to Finnish magazines: Moda and Novita.
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
At the moment, no.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yes, I'm definitely a sock knitter.
My (large) foot is 26 cm from toe to heel, 26 cm around foot and 28 cm around ankle. I use the European shoe size 41.
23. When is your birthday?
My birthday is 9th December (born in 1967).
24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what's your ID?
No, I'm not on Ravelry.